A Mysterious Smile

Excerpt-
Sometimes when my friends spoke about their love interests, I wondered if he loved anyone. I was, however, too timid to admit my feelings for him. Read short story of childhood love.

He was sort of a mystery for me. He talked so much. His smile conveyed too many things at once and he was often gone before I could comprehend what his mysterious smile meant.
I was a quiet teenager, quite unlike him, way too engrossed in the world of superheroes to realize that people around me were actually falling in love. Sometimes when my friends spoke about their love interests, I wondered if he loved anyone. I was, however, too timid to admit my feelings for him. So, I comforted myself by thinking that maybe someday if he loves me, I will love him too. I never asked him if he loved me. He never asked if I loved him.
After we moved to two different cities after high school, he kept in touch. He made up funny stories about how he needed me to keep him informed about the world outside his defense academy. During our casual conversations, he always made fun of people who were in love. I knew I was hopelessly falling for him so I decided to cut off all ties with him before my feelings also became a subject of ridicule for him.
We did not speak to each other for next nine years. I heard about him from some mutual friends. So did he, he told me later.
Nine years later when I met him at a common friend’s place, on a New Year eve, he did not speak much. He was not his usual self. I saw his eyes wandering and looking for someone until he dragged me to a corner and said: “Listen! I really goof up when I am talking about serious things in life. I have taken nine years to convey this to you. Please look at me.”

I looked at him. He smiled. His smile was not mysterious anymore. He was trying hard to fight his tears. I leaned on him and he kissed my eyes and that’s when I knew he loved me.. 
-END-
Share on Google Plus

About Unknown

    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment